Perfect for on the go, Vegan Breakfast Burritos are loaded with tofu scramble, crispy potatoes, and Mexican-inspired fillings. Eat them fresh off the stove or freeze for later!
If you’re in the mood for something savory, try these Vegan Breakfast Burritos. They’re made with filling ingredients like tofu scramble and crunchy breakfast potatoes. For extra flavor and protein, I’ve added in Mexican-inspired fillings like black beans, cheese, pico de gallo, avocado, and tomatoes.
Breakfast burritos are the best option to enjoy when you need a change from your usual overnight oats or green smoothies. Warm, savory, and satisfying, this protein-packed breakfast will keep you full for hours.
How to make vegan breakfast burritos
Sauté a crumbled block of tofu in a pan over medium heat. When the water evaporates, stir in the seasonings with some non-dairy milk. This is when the tofu begins to look like scrambled eggs!
Transfer the tofu scramble to a plate and add more oil and the potatoes to the pan. Sprinkle them with salt and pepper, and cook until lightly browned on the outside.
Turn off the heat. Combine the tofu scramble, rinsed black beans, and shredded vegan cheese in the pan with the potatoes. Add a scoop to the tortillas along with any additional fillings you like. Finish by rolling up the tortilla and serve!
You can prepare breakfast burritos and keep them in the freezer for weeks or even months as a quick grab-and-go option!
Roll the burritos without the pico, avocado, or tomatoes. Wrap each one in foil or plastic wrap and store in a freezer bag or container. When you’re ready to eat, remove the foil or plastic wrap and warm the burritos in the microwave for a couple of minutes until warm.
These breakfast burritos can easily be stuffed with any kind of filling you love. I filled mine with fresh pico de gallo, avocado slices, and tomatoes for a spin on the traditional savory flavors. Even more fillings can be cooked along with the scramble or added right into the wrap.
Any of these options will pair well with the crispy potatoes and tofu scramble while adding more flavor and protein:
- Diced onion and garlic
- Vegan sausage – Use the tempeh sausage from my vegan pizza or store bought.
- Tempeh bacon or tofu bacon
- Soy chorizo
- Spicy vegan mayo
- Roasted sweet potatoes
- Chopped cilantro
- Vegan mozzarella
- Drained and rinsed chickpeas or kidney beans
- Diced bell peppers
- Cheese sauce
- Chopped kale or spinach
Tips for success
- Roast the potatoes – You can save time by roasting the breakfast potatoes in the oven while you make the tofu scramble.
- Gluten-free burritos – Just swap the flour tortillas for gluten-free tortillas, like corn or cassava.
What breakfast recipes go well with vegan breakfast wraps?
- Vegan Blueberry Muffins
- The Best Vegan Waffles
- Easy Banana Bread
- Vegan Biscuits and Gravy
- The Best Green Smoothie
Vegan Breakfast Burritos
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 14 ounce block firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 3 cups O'Brien style frozen potatoes
- salt + black pepper, to taste
- 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3/4 cup shredded vegan cheese
- 4 large tortillas
Optional, for serving
- 1 cup pico de gallo or salsa
- diced tomatoes
- 1 avocado, sliced or diced
- hot sauce, chopped cilantro
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Mash the block of tofu right in the pan, with a potato masher or a fork. You can also crumble it into the pan with your hands. Cook, stirring frequently, for 3-4 minutes until the water from the tofu is mostly gone.
- Now add the nutritional yeast, salt, turmeric and garlic powder. Cook and stir constantly for about 5 minutes. Pour the non-dairy milk into the pan, and stir to mix.
- Transfer the tofu scramble to a plate nearby. Scrape the pan clean as needed.
- Pour another tablespoon of oil into the skillet and add the potatoes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 8 minutes until lightly browned and cooked through.
- Turn off the heat and add the tofu scramble back to the skillet with the potatoes, as well as the drained and rinsed black beans and shredded vegan cheese. Stir to combine everything.
- To assemble, place some of the mixture into the middle of a tortilla, then spoon some pico de gallo, avocado, hot sauce and/or chopped cilantro on top.
- Wrap two sides of the tortilla inward, then roll the burrito up snuggly. Serve immediately.
- For freezer breakfast burritos – Simply omit the fresh pico, avocado, tomatoes. Roll burritos up, wrap in foil or plastic wrap and then place in a freezer bag or container. Warm in the microwave for 1-2 minutes (foil removed, of course) until warm when ready to eat.
- Gluten free? Use gluten free tortillas, like corn or cassava.
- Optional – Add some vegan sausage or bacon, maybe my tempeh bacon or store bought. Vegan chorizo would also be good.
- You might be able to get 5-6 smaller burritos out of one recipe. Double the recipe for more!