Easy vegan country sausage gravy is so delicious on top of fluffy homemade biscuits. This recipe for Vegan Biscuits and Gravy is tasty, quick and easy (30 minutes)! A wonderful breakfast, brunch recipe or weekly dinner. The whole family will love this meal.
A classic, hearty, comfort food breakfast classic: Biscuits and Gravy. Made vegan, and using whole food ingredients!
Raise your hand if you grew up enjoying biscuits and gravy.
I know I did from time to time, and it’s been on my list of “favorite foods to veganize” for some time now. I finally got around to it, and after some trial and error, I’ve created the yummiest recipe for vegan biscuits and gravy! I think you are going to love it.
How do you make Vegan Biscuits and Gravy?
First, make a batch of these Easy Vegan Biscuits. Once they are in the oven, start making the vegan sausage gravy.
Crumble the tempeh in a pan, and add enough water to just about cover it.
Cook on medium-high heat until almost all of the water is absorbed. Then, add all the spices, salt and brown sugar. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
Next, sprinkle the flour over the tempeh sausage. Slowly pour the non-dairy milk into the pan, stirring as you pour.
*Make sure to use UNSWEETENED, UNFLAVORED non-dairy milk. You don’t want a hint of vanilla in your gravy! I used Silk Coconut Milk, but cashew, almond or soy would all work here.
Stir until the mixture thickens. Once the biscuits are done, slice a biscuit and pour a generous amount of gravy on top. Enjoy!
What should I serve with Vegan Biscuits and Gravy?
We have them often with Steamed Kale.
Vegan Biscuits and Gravy
- 1 recipe Easy Vegan Biscuits
For the Tempeh Sausage Crumbles
- 8 ounces tempeh
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
For the Gravy
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 3 cups unsweetened and unflavored non-dairy milk
- Make the Easy Vegan Biscuits. While they are baking, start the vegan sausage gravy.
- Make the Tempeh Sausage Crumbles: In a medium-large pan, crumble the tempeh and add enough water to almost cover it. Over medium-high heat, simmer the tempeh until most of the water is absorbed, about 10 minutes. Add the salt, spices and brown sugar and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Make the Gravy: Sprinkle the flour over the sausage crumbles, then slowly pour the non-dairy milk into the pan, stirring as you pour. Cook, stirring, until the mixture is thickened.
- Once the biscuits are done cooking, slice in half, pour a generous amount of gravy on the biscuits and serve!
- This biscuits and gravy recipe is also good with Field Roast Breakfast Sausages. Use 2-3 chopped small in place of the tempeh sausage crumbles.
- For a spicier gravy, use more red pepper flakes. If you don't want much heat, add less or omit completely.
- I used unsweetened, unflavored coconut milk. Cashew, almond or soy milk will all work. Just make sure the milk is unflavored and unsweetened.
- Calories listed are approximate for 1/6 of the sausage gravy and 1 biscuit.
*This post may contain affiliate links.