Vegan Biscuits and Gravy
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
An easy vegan sausage gravy over southern-style flaky biscuits makes the BEST breakfast! You won’t miss the meat or dairy with this tasty recipe, and it’s ready in just 30 minutes.
On the weekdays I usually have avocado toast or overnight oats for breakfast, but on the weekends I like to make something more exciting, like this amazing vegan sausage gravy over my swoon-worthy vegan buttermilk biscuits.
I prefer a white gravy over biscuits in true southern style, but if you want a darker gravy, try my Easy Vegan Gravy instead.
What kind of vegan sausage is best?
My new favorite is Impossible’s vegan sausage that comes in a tube. It’s seriously SO GOOD, and perfect for sausage gravy.
You really can’t go wrong with Gardein or Field Roast either. Or see the notes section below in the recipe card for homemade tempeh sausage crumbles, similar to what I use on pizza.
Can I make vegan biscuits and gravy gluten free?
Yes! Simply substitute gluten free flour in the biscuits and use gluten free flour for thickening the gravy.
What kind of milk is best for white gravy?
My favorite is homemade cashew milk, or even store bought cashew milk. Soy or coconut work fine as well, just make sure whatever you use is unsweetened and unflavored. Or use some plant milk and a little vegan creamer for extra creaminess.
More savory vegan breakfasts to love
- Vegan Breakfast Casserole
- Vegan Omelette
- Easy Vegan Quiche
- Vegan Breakfast Burritos
- Fried Vegan Eggs
- The Best Tofu Scramble
- Tempeh or Tofu Bacon
Vegan Biscuits and Gravy
- 1 Recipe Southern-Style Vegan Buttermilk Biscuits
- 14 ounces vegan sausage crumbles, or chopped pieces, *I used Impossible brand, see Notes
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 3 cups unsweetened, unflavored cashew milk
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon dried crushed rosemary
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a large pan over medium-high heat, cook the vegan sausage.
- Now add the flour, cashew milk and vegan butter. Cook on medium heat for 5-10 minutes, stirring constantly, until the gravy thickens.
- Add the thyme, rosemary, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Taste the gravy and add any additional seasonings, salt or pepper, as desired.
- Serve immediately over warm biscuits and enjoy!
- The old version of this recipe used tempeh sausage crumbles. If you want to use those, here is how to do it: In a large pan, crumble the tempeh and add enough water to almost cover it. Over medium-high heat, simmer the tempeh until most of the water is absorbed, about 10 minutes. Add the salt, spices and brown sugar and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Then continue with adding the flour and milk to make the gravy.
- You can also use my Easy Vegan Biscuits, which are oil free, if desired. Or store bought vegan biscuits.
- GF – For gluten free, use gluten free biscuits and a gluten free flour for thickening.
- Sausage – I love Impossible brand’s new vegan sausage in a tube, but I’ve also used Gardein brand and Field Roast breakfast sausages, chopped small.
- Milk – I prefer unsweetened cashew milk, but you can use any unsweetened and unflavored milk. Homemade is truly best, as it doesn’t have any unusual aftertastes.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Read my full disclosure here