Vegan Biscuits and Gravy
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
Easy vegan country sausage gravy is so delicious on top of fluffy homemade biscuits. This recipe for Vegan Biscuits and Gravy is tasty, quick and easy (30 minutes)! A wonderful breakfast, brunch recipe or weekly dinner. The whole family will love this meal.
A classic, hearty, comfort food breakfast classic: Biscuits and Gravy. Made vegan, and using whole food ingredients!
Raise your hand if you grew up enjoying biscuits and gravy.
I know I did from time to time, and it’s been on my list of “favorite foods to veganize” for some time now. I finally got around to it, and after some trial and error, I’ve created the yummiest recipe for vegan biscuits and gravy! I think you are going to love it.
How do you make Vegan Biscuits and Gravy?
First, make a batch of these Easy Vegan Biscuits. Once they are in the oven, start making the vegan sausage gravy.
Crumble the tempeh in a pan, and add enough water to just about cover it.
Cook on medium-high heat until almost all of the water is absorbed. Then, add all the spices, salt and brown sugar. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
Next, sprinkle the flour over the tempeh sausage. Slowly pour the non-dairy milk into the pan, stirring as you pour.
*Make sure to use UNSWEETENED, UNFLAVORED non-dairy milk. You don’t want a hint of vanilla in your gravy! I used Silk Coconut Milk, but cashew, almond or soy would all work here.
Stir until the mixture thickens. Once the biscuits are done, slice a biscuit and pour a generous amount of gravy on top. Enjoy!
What should I serve with Vegan Biscuits and Gravy?
We have them often with Steamed Kale.
Vegan Biscuits and Gravy
- 1 recipe Easy Vegan Biscuits
For the Tempeh Sausage Crumbles
- 8 ounces tempeh
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
For the Gravy
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 3 cups unsweetened and unflavored non-dairy milk
- Make the Easy Vegan Biscuits. While they are baking, start the vegan sausage gravy.
- Make the Tempeh Sausage Crumbles: In a medium-large pan, crumble the tempeh and add enough water to almost cover it. Over medium-high heat, simmer the tempeh until most of the water is absorbed, about 10 minutes. Add the salt, spices and brown sugar and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Make the Gravy: Sprinkle the flour over the sausage crumbles, then slowly pour the non-dairy milk into the pan, stirring as you pour. Cook, stirring, until the mixture is thickened.
- Once the biscuits are done cooking, slice in half, pour a generous amount of gravy on the biscuits and serve!
- This biscuits and gravy recipe is also good with Field Roast Breakfast Sausages. Use 2-3 chopped small in place of the tempeh sausage crumbles.
- For a spicier gravy, use more red pepper flakes. If you don't want much heat, add less or omit completely.
- I used unsweetened, unflavored coconut milk. Cashew, almond or soy milk will all work. Just make sure the milk is unflavored and unsweetened.
- Nutrition information is for the gravy only.
*This post may contain affiliate links.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Read my full disclosure here