One bite of these pulled Jackfruit Tacos and you’ll be hooked! The meaty texture and smoky flavors of the perfectly seasoned jackfruit filling are out-of-this-world. It only gets better when the easy, creamy avocado sauce is added on top!
I’m all about serving Tofu Tacos and Vegan Fish Tacos on Taco Tuesday, but these Jackfruit Tacos are really hard to pass up. Each one is filled with perfectly seasoned shredded jackfruit and topped with an easy avocado sauce. You’ll get creamy, tangy, smoky, and spicy flavors in every mouth-watering bite.
Young jackfruit takes on flavor like a pro, making it the perfect vegan-friendly substitute for pulled pork or carnitas (just check out my Jackfruit Carnitas). In this vegan jackfruit tacos recipe, the filling is seasoned with smoky seasonings, chipotle peppers in adobo, soy sauce, and agave syrup. This wide variety gives the jackfruit a blend of balanced and bold flavors that are completely addicting.
Ingredient needed (with substitutions)
- Jackfruit – Make sure to buy canned young jackfruit in water or brine. It has almost the exact same texture as real pulled pork and doesn’t have a strong flavor.
- Vegetable broth
- Tomato paste
- Soy sauce – Or tamari or coconut aminos.
- Chipotle peppers in adobo – These sweet, tangy, and smoky peppers pack a bit of heat but nothing most people can’t handle. They’re what give the jackfruit tacos their signature flavor! You can usually find canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce in most major grocery stores or Mexican markets but if you can’t find them, replace the heat with more chili powder, a diced jalapeno, or smoked paprika.
- Chili powder
- Agave syrup – Granulated sugar can also be used. The sweetness is important for balance here, so try not to leave it out.
- Avocado sauce – This really simple avocado sauce is easy to make in a food processor or blender using avocado, cilantro, lime, vegan mayo (or yogurt), and salt.
- Tortillas – You can use corn, flour, or crunchy tortillas.
How to make jackfruit tacos
Add the drained and rinsed jackfruit to a skillet with oil. Heat over medium heat, then add the onion. Once it’s soft, you can add the broth and bring it up to a boil. Top it with a lid and let the mixture simmer.
Take off the lid and shred the jackfruit with a potato masher or two forks.
Next, add the rest of the ingredients and stir. Keep cooking until everything has come together and the jackfruit is smoky, warm, and fragrant. Once the jackfruit taco filling is ready, you can move on to the creamy avocado sauce.
How to make avocado cream sauce
To make the avocado cream sauce, add all of the sauce ingredients to a food processor and blend until smooth.
Taco night only gets better with plenty of topping options and side dishes. Put any of these taco toppings in small bowls and let your family or guests serve themselves:
- Shredded lettuce
- Shredded vegan cheese
- Pickled red onions
- Diced tomatoes
- Lime juice
- Vegan sour cream
Frequently asked questions
- What does jackfruit taste like? Underripe or young jackfruit has a mild flavor and firm texture that’s just like real pulled pork. It’s incredible at soaking up savory flavors and spice.
- How long do jackfruit tacos last? The jackfruit filling can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 to 4 days.
- Can you freeze jackfruit? Yes, jackfruit freezes really well. Keep the filling in freezer-safe bags or airtight containers to keep it fresh. Let it thaw in the fridge before reheating.
Want more jackfruit recipes?
Jackfruit Taco Meat
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion, cut in half and thinly sliced
- (2) 20-ounce cans young jackfruit in water or brine
- 1 cup vegetable broth, divided
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo, chopped small
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons agave
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- salt, to taste
Creamy Avocado Sauce
- 1 large ripe avocado, pitted and scooped out of the skin
- 1/2 cup packed fresh cilantro, chopped roughly
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons vegan mayo or plain vegan yogurt
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- tortillas of choice, soft or crunchy, corn or flour
- Optional toppings: shredded lettuce, sliced avocado, vegan cheese, salsa, tomatoes, vegan sour cream, pickled onions
For the tacos
- Drain and rinse the jackfruit. Chop off the hard center core portions if desired. I usually don't so I don't waste any.
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add the onion and sauté for 3-4 minutes until translucent. Now add the jackfruit and 1/2 cup vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer, covered, for about 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, remove the lid and mash the jackfruit with a potato masher or two forks, creating a shredded texture.
- Add the other 1/2 cup vegetable broth, tomato paste, soy sauce, chipotle peppers, garlic, chili powder, cumin, agave and lime juice to the skillet, and stir into the jackfruit. Cook over medium-high heat for about 10-15 minutes, stirring frequently. Taste; add salt as desired.
- Serve in tortillas with optional avocado sauce and other desired toppings. Enjoy!
For the avocado sauce
- Add the ripe avocado flesh, cilantro, lime juice, vegan mayo or yogurt and salt to a food processor and process until smooth and creamy, scraping the sides as needed.
- Store in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.