Classic Vegan Coleslaw
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
Classic vegan coleslaw made with the perfect dressing and ready in 10 minutes! Perfect for picnics, potlucks and any other occasion.
Creamy and so refreshing, this EASY vegan coleslaw recipe uses pre-shredded cabbage and a super simple dressing that comes together in 5 minutes or less.
This is one of those recipes you’ll want to keep on hand for summer cookouts, barbecues and potlucks. The dressing is mayonnaise based, and luckily it’s not difficult to find vegan mayo these days. But if you want to make your own, go ahead of make this vegan mayo with cashews or tofu vegan mayonnaise.
- Shredded cabbage and carrots mix – Just pick up a bag of shredded cabbage and carrots. It’s inexpensive and the work is already done for you! If you want, shred your own cabbage, a mix of green and red and add some shredded carrots as well.
- Vegan mayo – I use a variety of brands but I probably use Vegenaise the most. An oldie but goodie!
- Sugar – Just a few tablespoons for that slightly sweet coleslaw dressing. Substitute agave, coconut sugar or pure maple syrup if desired.
- Apple cider vinegar – For that signature tangy flavor. If you can’t have vinegar, you can try using lemon juice instead.
- Celery seed – A tiny bit goes a long way!
How to make vegan coleslaw
In a large bowl (large enough to hold all the cabbage), add the vegan mayo, sugar, apple cider vinegar, celery seed and salt.
Whisk until smooth and well combined.
Now add the cabbage/carrot mix to the bowl with the dressing.
Alternatively, you can make the dressing in a smaller bowl, add the cabbage to a large bowl and pour the dressing over it. I like keeping things to one bowl whenever possible!
Mix well so the cabbage is coated in the dressing. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Tips for the best vegan coleslaw
- Cut the cabbage mix smaller – Instead of large pieces of cabbage that can be difficult to chew, I prefer smaller pieces. Simple chop it up a bit smaller before adding to the bowl.
- Use good vegan mayo – Make sure you like the flavor of whatever vegan mayo you use. I personally enjoy Vegenaise and other brands.
- Try to let it chill in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours if possible before serving. This lets the flavors mingle and the cabbage will soften a bit but still have that “crunch”.
Can I make coleslaw ahead of time?
While this vegan coleslaw lasts for up to 4 days in a covered container in the refrigerator, it’s best to serve the same day you make it. Otherwise it gets limp and not so crunchy.
If you have a get-together, try to prepare it 3-6 hours before you plan on serving it for optimal crunch and flavor.
You can enjoy the leftovers for a few days though.
More picnic-perfect vegan sides
Classic Vegan Coleslaw
- Add the vegan mayo, granulated sugar, apple cider vinegar, celery seed and salt to a large mixing bowl and whisk together until fully combined.
- Add in the coleslaw mix and stir well. Cover, and refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving, if possible. It's also fine served immediately. Enjoy!
- Coleslaw will keep in the refrigerator in a covered container for up to 4 days, but it will get rather limp and less crunchy with time.
- I used a bag of coleslaw mix to make this really easy, but you can of course chop up your own mixture of green cabbage, red cabbage and carrots if you’d prefer. Make sure you have about 5 cups total.
- Instead of sugar, you can substitute coconut sugar, agave or pure maple syrup.
- If desired, chop your cabbage mix smaller before adding to the bowl with the dressing. I prefer smaller pieces so I often do this, but it’s not necessary.
*This recipe was originally published in June 2018 and has been republished with new photos and helpful information. The recipe is unchanged.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Read my full disclosure here