Easy Baked Tofu Nuggets are crispy on the outside, tender on the inside, easy to make and make a delicious meal that grown ups and kids love! Serve with your favorite dipping sauce and some Oven Roasted Potato Wedges.
Crispy on the outside, tender on the inside, these bite sized tofu nuggets are easy to make and certain to please all the kids (and grown-ups!) in your life. You won’t believe how crispy they get in the oven.
Serve with Oven Roasted Potato Wedges, and maybe add a green vegetable like green beans or salad, and you’ve got a kid-friendly, protein packed dinner.
How to make them
You will need two bowls for dipping. In the first bowl, add the almond milk, cornstarch, flaxseeds and salt. Whisk very well, and set aside.
(SEE RECIPE CARD AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST FOR THE FULL RECIPE.)
In the second bowl, add the panko breadcrumbs, smoked paprika, garlic powder and salt. Stir to combine. You could use regular breadcrumbs, or gluten free if needed, but panko gives the nuggets the crispiest coating. Kikkoman brand is vegan, and you can find them at most grocery stores or on Amazon.
This post contains affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
Slice your pressed tofu in half lengthwise, then slice into bite sized cubes. Dip each piece first in the wet bowl, then the dry, and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake at 400 degrees F for 15 minutes, flip and bake 15 more minutes until crispy.
Do you have to press your tofu?
Yes, you need to press your tofu for this recipe, but only for about 20 minutes. I do this by wrapping the block of tofu in paper towels or a clean tea towel, and then setting a cast iron pan on top.
You can skip pressing if you use the super firm variety in a vacuum packed container. It’s more expensive, but sometimes worth it if you’re short on time!
Can you double the recipe?
Yes, you can easily double or triple the recipe. I always double it for my family of 5. The recipe as written only serves about 3 people, so adjust accordingly.
Can they be made gluten free?
Yes, simply use gluten free breadcrumbs in place of the panko ones. You can even use cornmeal if needed, but breadcrumbs work the best.
Want more kid-friendly recipes?
- The Best Vegan Mac and Cheese
- Ultimate Fully Loaded Vegan Nachos
- Vegan Pepperoni
- Spaghetti and Easy Vegan Meatballs
Easy Baked Tofu Nuggets
- 16 ounce block extra-firm tofu
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1.5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1.5 tablespoons ground flaxseeds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Press the tofu: Wrap the block of tofu in paper towels. Place a plate or pan on top of the wrapped tofu, and put a couple of heavy books on top of that. Let the tofu press for 20 minutes. (You can skip this step if you get the super firm variety)
- In a small bowl, add the almond milk, cornstarch, ground flaxseeds and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Whisk well to combine, then set aside until the tofu is ready.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In another small bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, garlic powder, smoked paprika and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Set aside.
- Slice the pressed tofu in half lengthwise, then into equal sized cubes.
- Whisk the wet ingredients one more time. Coat each tofu cube in the wet ingredients, then into the breadcrumb mixture. Pat with the breadcrumb mixture to get as much as possible on the tofu. Place on the prepared baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then flip the pieces and bake for 15 more minutes, until golden and crispy. Serve immediately with dipping sauce of choice, and enjoy!
- You can skip pressing the tofu if you buy the super firm variety that is NOT packed in water, such as Trader Joe's High Protein Super Firm Tofu.
- For gluten free, use gluten free breadcrumbs.
- Any unsweetened non-dairy milk will work here, but make sure it is not vanilla flavored or sweetened at all or it will ruin the nuggets.
Recipe last updated June 23rd, 2019. Originally posted in 2017.