These Easy Baked Tofu Nuggets get super crispy in the oven with minimal ingredients and effort. The kids (and picky eaters) in your life will love them! Serve with potato fries and ketchup for a truly kid-friendly vegan meal!
When I announce that we are going to have these Easy Baked Tofu Nuggets for dinner, my kids erupt in delight and excitement. For real. I think the only other meal they get THAT happy about is when we have breakfast for dinner!
About these Tofu Nuggets:
- You can skip pressing the tofu IF you are able to buy the super firm variety wrapped in plastic, NOT the kind that is packed in water. If you have the “packed in water” stuff, you need to press it. (See instructions in recipe below.) They have the super firm kind at Trader Joe’s and other stores, but it’s usually a little more expensive.
- If you need this recipe to be gluten free, use gluten free tamari. If you can have gluten, you can just use soy sauce.
- Serve these Easy Baked Tofu Nuggets with fries (I usually do homemade sweet potato fries or these No Oil Super Crispy Fries) and various dipping sauces like ketchup, barbecue sauce and mustard for a super tasty, comforting and kid-friendly meal!
I hope you all enjoy these Tofu Nuggets! They are:
Baked, not fried
Easy & Inexpensive
Toddler and kid-friendly
Gluten Free and
Addicting to eat!
Looking for more savory, family-friendly recipes? Try one of these, or check out my eCookbook, Plant Based Family Dinners, with 38 kid-friendly recipes, meal plans and shopping lists!
If you make this recipe, let me know how it goes! Rate it, leave a comment and tag a photo @noracooksvegan on Instagram. Enjoy!
Easy Baked Tofu Nuggets
- (2) 14-16 oz extra-firm tofu
- 1/4 cup tamari (or soy sauce if not gluten-free)
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- ketcup, barbecue sauce, mustard for dipping
- Press the tofu: Line your counter or a plate with a few paper towels. Place the tofu block on top, add a few more layers of paper towel on top, then place something heavy on top. I use my small cast iron pan. You can also use a plate with a few cans on top, or a heavy book or 2. Let the tofu press for at least 15 minutes to remove excess water, and up to an hour.*
- Slice the tofu into 1/2 inch thick strips, and place in a large bowl. Drizzle the soy sauce over the tofu and allow to marinate while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix the flour, cornmeal, salt and seasonings in a medium bowl. Coat the marinated tofu strips with the dry mixture and place on baking sheet, one by one.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then carefully turn the tofu fingers over and bake for 20 minutes more.
- Serve with ketchup, barbecue sauce or mustard and with a side of fries for a super kid-friendly and fun dinner!
- You can skip pressing the tofu if you buy the super firm variety that is NOT packed in water, such as Trader Joe's High Protein Super Firm Tofu.