This is my all time favorite Vegan Caesar Dressing! So creamy and ready in just 5 minutes, this is a simple salad dressing you need in your fridge at all times.
5-minute vegan caesar salad dressing
Can you believe this Vegan Caesar Dressing tastes just like the real thing? It’s ultra-creamy with hints of briny, garlicky, and umami flavors. Made with a cashew cream base and a handful of simple ingredients, it’s a must-have vegan salad dressing.
A traditional caesar dressing is made with egg yolks, anchovies, garlic, and parmesan cheese. This recipe replicates the same rich flavors and textures of the classic, but without any oil, eggs, anchovies, or vegan mayonnaise. How great is that?
In my opinion, no vegan caesar salad or kale caesar salad is complete without it. You can even put out a bowl as a delicious dip for vegan pizza, vegetables, cauliflower wings, and more! There’s never a bad time for caesar dressing.
Ingredients needed (with substitutions)
- Cashews – Raw, unsalted cashew pieces are best. When soaked in water and blended, they transform this dressing into a luxurious and creamy sauce. If you need a nut free version, I include a vegan mayo based recipe as well.
- Lemon juice
- Dijon mustard – Regular yellow mustard may work instead but you won’t achieve the same level of depth that dijon provides.
- Capers – Think of capers as mini olives. They’re briny and pack a punch, making them one of the best substitutes for the anchovies you’d find in a classic caesar dressing.
- Vegan Worcestershire sauce – Optional, but a delicious and umami-boosting addition. Soy sauce or tamari may work as a substitute.
How to make vegan caesar dressing
Find the instructions with the full ingredients list, measurements, and directions on the recipe card below.
Begin by soaking the cashew pieces in hot water. If you have a powerful blender, you will only need to do this for about 5 or 10 minutes.
Drain the water and add the cashews to a blender. Add the remaining ingredients and some fresh water.
Blend the dressing until it’s very smooth and creamy.
Once it’s ready, serve the cashew caesar dressing with caesar salad topped with vegan croutons and vegan parmesan. Enjoy!
Besides using it as a creamy salad dressing, you can use caesar dressing as a:
- Dip – For vegetables, vegan pizza, potato wedges, grilled vegetables, and cauliflower wings.
- Spread – Grab a knife and spread some of the dressing on vegan burgers and sandwiches.
- Sauce – Use it as a replacement for red pizza sauce on vegan pizza, use it in macaroni salad, potato salad, or even in creamy vegan coleslaw. Or make caesar wraps with vegan chicken, lettuce and parmesan.
Frequently asked questions
- Can you make it without nuts? Yes, you can make the dressing with 3/4 cup of vegan mayonnaise instead of cashews and water. For an oil free and nut free caesar dressing, make this recipe with my vegan tofu mayonnaise.
- Do you have to have a high powered blender? A blender with a powerful motor (like a Vitamix) does help, but it isn’t necessary. If using a regular blender, soak the cashews longer (or even overnight) and blend the dressing for a little longer as well.
- How long does vegan Caesar salad dressing last? The dressing keeps for about 1 week in the refrigerator when stored in a covered container (glass preferred).
- Is it freezer-friendly? Yes, it freezes quite well!
Want more vegan salad dressings?
- Vegan Green Goddess Dressing
- Best Homemade Vegan Ranch
- Vegan Blue Cheese Dressing
- Lemon Maple Tahini Dressing
Vegan Caesar Dressing
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- 1 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Soak the raw cashew pieces in hot water for 5 minutes. I heat up water in my electric kettle and pour it over the cashews to soak. If you don't have a high powered blender, you should soak them longer, several hours or overnight in order to get them very soft.
- Drain the cashews and add to your blender. Add the remaining ingredients, including 3/4 cup fresh water, and blend until very smooth.
- Serve with chopped romaine/kale or a mix, with vegan croutons and optional Vegan Parmesan for a delicious Caesar salad. Enjoy!
- Dressing will keep for up to 1 week in the refrigerator, and can be frozen.
- Mayo version – If you can’t have nuts, you can substitute 3/4 cup vegan mayonnaise (store bought or homemade) for the cashews and water. You will still need to blend in order to get the capers smooth. Or try my tofu mayonnaise if you want an oil free nut free recipe.
How important are the capers in this recipe? I am allergic to capers. Thanks.
Hi Joyce. You can always leave the capers out. They could be replaced with green olives, pickle brine, or more lemon juice, if desired. Enjoy!
Easy and delicious! I always have these ingredients around the kitchen.
Thanks for your terrific feedback!
Hands down the BEST Caesar dressing I’ve ever had, even before going vegan. Super easy to whip up and wonderful on romaine and kale, thank you!
You are welcome! It’s awesome to me that you love the dressing! Again, thank you for sharing your wonderful feedback and review!
Due to a nut allergy, can we sub the cashews for something else?
You could use sunflower seeds or raw slivered almonds (if you can have those).