This is by far the most delicious Vegan Butternut Squash Soup I’ve ever tasted. Better yet, it’s made in the Instant Pot in just 10 minutes! A simple recipe with (optional) cashew cream + how to cut a butternut squash.
*Please note this page does contain affiliate links. I only link to products I absolutely love and recommend. Thank you for your support.
Vegan Butternut Squash Soup is perfect for Fall. It’s creamy, warming and oh-so-comforting. Pair this soup with a salad (how about this Caesar Salad?) and crusty bread for a more complete meal.
This simple soup would also be an excellent addition to your Thanksgiving menu.
Another huge win for this Vegan Butternut Squash Soup: My kids love it!
I did not expect that they would at all, but oh my goodness, they really do. My daughter had 2 bowls. My picky son raved and told me how much he “loves soups that don’t have any chunks”, hah. I’ll take note of that one.
How do you cut a butternut squash?
- Slice off both ends of the squash with a heavy, sharp knife.
- Peel the squash. Use a decent vegetable peeler, as the skin is quite thick. Peel it lengthwise.
- Cut the squash in half lengthwise, starting at the widest part.
- Spoon out the seeds and membranes.
- Now slice into strips, then the long strips into cubes. That’s it!
How do you make Vegan Butternut Squash Soup in the Instant Pot?
This is one of the easiest soup recipes! First, saute the garlic and shallot in a little olive oil (or water for oil free).
Then, add the squash, vegetable broth and nutmeg. Cook on high pressure for 10 minutes. Carefully release the pressure, and then open the lid.
All that’s left to do is blend the soup with an immersion blender (or regular blender) and make the cashew cream.
The cashew cream really takes this soup to the next level, so make it if you can. You only need a little in every bowl to add a lot of creaminess. Sprinkle each bowl with fresh chopped parsley or thyme and fresh grated nutmeg for extra fanciness.
Can I make the soup without an Instant Pot?
Yes, you can. Use a large pot on the stovetop. Saute the garlic/shallot as instructed and then add the vegetable broth, squash and nutmeg. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes, until the squash is fork tender. Continue with the immersion blender.
If you make this recipe, let me know how it goes! Rate it, leave a comment and tag a photo @nora_cooks_vegan on Instagram. Enjoy!
Vegan Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked in hot water for 5 minutes
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Push the "saute" button on the Instant Pot. Add the olive oil, minced shallot and garlic. Saute 2-3 minutes, then turn Instant Pot off for a moment.
- Add the butternut squash, nutmeg and vegetable broth. Cover with the lid and seal. Push the "manual" button, and cook on "high" for 10 minutes.
- Once finished, carefully release any pressure from the Instant Pot. Using an immersion blender (or regular blender), blend until very smooth. Taste and add salt as desired.
- Ladle into bowls, add a dollop of cashew cream on top, stir it in gently, and serve.
- Add the soaked cashews, water, garlic and salt to a high powered blender and blend for a few minutes, until very smooth and creamy. Store in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Without an Instant Pot:
- Use a large pot on the stovetop, and saute the shallot and garlic in olive oil for 2-3 minutes. Now add the vegetable broth, squash and nutmeg. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes until the squash is fork tender. Then, use an immersion blender until smooth.