Buttery avocado, sweet watermelon and peppery arugula come together with a high quality balsamic vinegar to create a simple yet elegant summer salad. Oil free.
This Watermelon Avocado Arugula Salad was a happy accident. I wanted a salad one day, but my usual romaine wasn’t there. I did, however, have some arugula and some watermelon that needed to be eaten. I just started throwing things together and that’s how this recipe was born!
The contrast of the sweet watermelon with arugula is out of this world, especially when drizzled with a high quality balsamic vinegar. Add avocado and red onion slices and forget about it! AH-mazing.
Lately I’ve discovered that I LOVE arugula. I stuff it into sandwiches, wraps, and in veggie burgers. And now I’ve been eating this easy salad regularly to get my fill of the stuff! If you aren’t a fan of arugula, you could easily make this with baby spinach instead.
The balsamic vinegar brand I use is Grand Reserve; it’s pricey but it lasts me a long time.
- 1 bag arugula (5 ounces) or baby spinach
- 1-2 cups watermelon chunks
- 1 avocado, cut into chunks
- ¼ of a red onion, sliced thin
- 3-4 tablespoons high quality balsamic vinegar
- In a large salad bowl, add the arugula, watermelon, avocado and red onion.
- Drizzle on the balsamic vinegar, to desired amount. Don't use so much it's drowning in vinegar!
- Gently toss and serve.
*I like a lot of watermelon in this salad (closer to 2 cups), but this salad is very flexible so use as much as you like.
*Add some chickpeas for a more complete and filling meal.