This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
Homemade Russian dressing, sautéed tempeh, and vegan Swiss cheese are sandwiched between slices of rye bread to make this Vegan Tempeh Reuben. It’s comforting, smoky, and delicious!
This Tempeh Reuben is loaded with hearty sautéed tempeh and layered in a homemade vegan Russian dressing and Swiss cheese. It has all of the comforting flavors of a classic reuben, but without the animal ingredients!
Your new favorite vegan sandwich is made from a handful of delicious elements:
- Melty vegan Swiss cheese
- Pan-fried tempeh
- Vegan Russian dressing
Tangy and salty in the best way, you’ll find that you’ll be treating yourself to the rich flavors of this tempeh reuben every weekend. It’s the best sandwich to enjoy with potato chips, Crispy Potato Wedges or Creamy Potato Salad and a pickle on the side. As a bonus, most of the components can be prepared ahead of time so all you need to do is assemble and dig in!
How to make a tempeh reuben sandwich
There are a handful of components to this sandwich, but each one comes together easily. When they’re done, either serve the sandwich hot and fresh or store them away to enjoy later on.
- Make the Swiss cheese by blending the soaked cashews and the rest of the cheese ingredients in a high powered blender. When it’s smooth, pour the mixture into a saucepan. Heat and stir until it becomes one melty mass of cheese. It’s similar to my popular stretchy mozzarella.
- Next, sauté the onion, garlic, and tempeh pieces in a large skillet. Remove everything from the heat once the tempeh has browned.
- Make the Russian dressing by whisking all of the dressing ingredients in a bowl.
- Butter the bread and lightly toast each piece.
- Spread the Russian dressing on the toasted bread and top with the tempeh mixture.
- Add the cheese and sauerkraut on top. Finish by placing the other piece of bread on top and enjoy!
Can I make this ahead of time?
Yes! The homemade vegan cheese, dressing, and tempeh can all be prepared a day or two ahead of time. Here’s how:
- Vegan Swiss cheese: Once the cheese comes together, store it in an airtight container in the fridge. It should solidify slightly as it sits, meaning it will be easy to slice or spread when it’s time to assemble the sandwich.
- Vegan Russian dressing: Store the dressing in a sealed jar or container in the fridge.
- Tempeh: Store the cooked vegan corned beef in an airtight container in the fridge. You can either reheat it in a skillet when it’s time to eat or serve it cold.
Tips and substitutions
- Instead of homemade Swiss cheese – Replace it with storebought vegan Swiss or provolone style cheese.
- Not a tempeh fan? Use slices of marinated tofu or seitan instead. Make it with leftover Vegan Turkey Roast around the holidays!
- Bread – Sandwich your toppings in a thick and hearty vegan bread, like rye bread or sourdough.
- Toppings – Add more, like slices of pickles, coleslaw, or pickled red onions.
- Gluten free – Replace the soy sauce with tamari and use gluten free sliced bread to make this recipe completely gluten free. And make sure to use gluten free tempeh (I use Lightlife brand.)
Want more vegan sandwich recipes?
Melty Swiss Cheese*
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large sweet onion, finely diced, about 3 cups
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- (2) 8-ounce packages tempeh, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 cups sauerkraut, warmed
- 8 slices rye bread
- vegan butter, for toasting bread
Make the Swiss cheese
- Boil 2 cups of water and soak the cashews in it for at least 5 minutes. Discard the soaking water and add the cashews to a high powered blender along with 1 cup fresh water, wine, lemon juice, miso paste, salt and tapioca starch. Blend until very smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a saucepan and heat over medium-high heat, stirring constantly until it starts to clump. Keep stirring until suddenly it becomes one melty mass of cheese. Remove from heat immediately and cover until ready to assemble the sandwiches.
Make the tempeh
- In a large pan over medium-high heat, warm the oil then add the onions and garlic and sauté for 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the tempeh pieces and continue to cook on medium heat for 15 minutes, stirring frequently, until browned. Now add the soy sauce and paprika and stir to coat. Remove from heat.
Make the Russian dressing
- Whisk all dressing ingredients in a bowl until well combined. Set aside.
- Lightly butter one side of each piece of bread and toast for 1-2 minutes in a pan, until lightly golden brown.
- Using the toasted bread, assemble each sandwich. Spread on some Russian dressing, top with tempeh mixture, then cheese and sauerkraut. Place another piece of bread on top, toasted side up. Serve immediately and enjoy.
- To make the recipe easier, skip the homemade Swiss cheese and use store bought vegan Swiss or provolone slices.
- You may prepare the cheese, tempeh and Russian dressing ahead of time and store in the refrigerator until ready to assemble.
- To make the sandwich gluten free, use gluten free bread, tamari instead of soy sauce and gluten free tempeh.
- For oil free, omit the oil and use vegetable broth to sauté the tempeh, and use my homemade vegan mayo OR unsweetened vegan yogurt for the Russian dressing. And you can toast the bread dry in a pan instead of using vegan butter.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Read my full disclosure here