This easy watermelon salad is so refreshing on a summer day. Cubed watermelon is tossed in a simple lime-agave vinaigrette, fresh mint leaves and feta. The perfect potluck dish for eating under the warm sun!
Watermelon feta salad with mint
You will want to have this recipe on repeat all summer long! It’s so refreshing on a hot day, and is the perfect balance of sweet and savory. You may also love my watermelon arugula salad with avocado and balsamic!
The key is to start with good watermelon. How to pick the perfect watermelon? Look for ones that are heavy for their size with an orange or dark yellow spot on the bottom. Go for seedless as well.
I used vegan feta cheese. Violife and Trader Joe’s both have super yummy dairy free feta cheese.
How to cut a watermelon into cubes
This is my favorite way to cut watermelon. It’s pretty easy once you get the hang of it!
- Rinse and dry your watermelon, then slice it in half horizontally. Cut off the stem end and place with the larger cut side down on a cutting board. Slice off all of the rind and white flesh, cutting at angle down towards the cutting board.
- Now cut into slices.
- Cut the slices into sticks.
- Lastly, cut the sticks into cubes.
How to make watermelon salad
Find the complete recipe with measurements and directions below.
Place the cubed watermelon in a large bowl. Drizzle the olive oil, lime juice and agave over the watermelon, then add a pinch of salt and finely chopped mint. Toss well to coat, then sprinkle the feta over the top right before serving.
Frequently asked questions
- How long does watermelon last? Cut watermelon will keep in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, but definitely tastes better the first day or two. The salad will keep for only 3-4 days and is best if you store it without the feta (add that right before serving).
- What to serve with watermelon salad? I like to serve this at barbecues or summer potlucks alongside veggie burgers, pulled bbq jackfruit sandwiches, vegan wings, vegan ribs, or kebabs.
- Can I add anything else to the salad? You can! Some good options are diced cucumbers, sliced red onions or use a mix of strawberries, blueberries and watermelon. Serve on a bed of arugula with avocado for a more filling salad.
Looking for more potluck-perfect salads?
- Black Bean Salad with Avocado
- Quinoa Salad with Chickpeas
- Jennifer Aniston Salad (Bulgur Salad)
- The Best Vegan Potato Salad
- Vegan Macaroni Salad
Watermelon Salad with Mint and Feta
- 10 cups cubed watermelon about 1/2 large watermelon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons agave
- tiny pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup feta crumbles I used Violife dairy free feta
- Cube the watermelon and place in a large bowl. The key to this recipe is using sweet, delicious watermelon. If your watermelon isn't good, this recipe won't taste good!
- Drizzle the olive oil, lime juice and agave over the watermelon in the bowl, and add a pinch of salt and the finely chopped mint. Toss well to coat the watermelon.
- Right before serving, crumble the feta over the top of the salad. Serve, garnished with more fresh mint if desired.
- You may leave out the olive oil if desired.
- Pure maple syrup can replace the agave.
- Leave out the feta if you like, but it adds a nice contrasting flavor to the watermelon.