This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
If you love shawarma, you are probably familiar with this creamy, flavorful sauce. It comes together in 5 minutes and keeps for 2 weeks in the refrigerator. Fresh dill and lemon juice brighten up this garlicky white sauce.
For me, the fresh dill makes it completely irresistible. Paired with fresh minced garlic, a little bit of tahini and fresh lemon juice, this creamy garlicky sauce adds a flavorful coolness to meals rich with warm spices.
How to store shawarma sauce
Keep leftover sauce in a covered container (glass preferred) for up to 2 weeks. It doesn’t freeze well, so make sure to put it on everything until it’s gone!
What does shawarma sauce go with?
More sauces and spreads
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt, I used almond yogurt
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon tahini, may omit if needed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill, or 1 tsp dried
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Add all ingredients to a bowl and whisk to combine. Keep in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
- The sauce is perfect for Vegan Shawarma but also goes with falafel or any other Middle Eastern-inspired food such as kebabs or gyros.
- I used Kite Hill brand almond plain yogurt. Make sure you don’t use a flavored or sweetened yogurt, it must be plain.
- If you don’t have tahini, it’s fine to leave it out.
- Use fresh cloves of garlic here, not pre-chopped garlic in jars.
- Fresh dill is absolutely best here, but you can substitute a teaspoon of dried dill if needed.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Read my full disclosure here