Creamy, fluffy, and light, this Whipped Coffee recipe is so easy to make using just 3 ingredients! Whip it up in no time and serve a scoop over a glass of your favorite plant milk.
Making Whipped Coffee turns your ordinary cup of coffee into a creamy treat! Using just instant coffee, sugar, and hot water, this super simple mixture is whipped into light and fluffy peaks. Scoop it on top of a glass of ice cold or warm plant milk, stir and enjoy!
This easy whipped coffee took over the internet in 2020 when the recipe went viral on TikTok. I had to try it for myself because it looked so creamy and delicious! The caramel brown peaks took minutes to whip up and looked irresistible over a glass of oat milk with ice.
What is whipped coffee?
This TikTok coffee sensation swept through households right at the start of the 2020 pandemic. Whipped coffee is a specialty coffee drink made by whipping instant coffee, sugar, and hot water into a light and airy mousse-like consistency. It’s actually a popular drink around the world, known as Dalgona Coffee in Korea, Frappe Coffee in Greece, and Beaten Coffee in India.
How to make whipped coffee
Add the instant coffee, sugar, and hot water to a mixing bowl.
Use a hand mixer to whip the mixture until stiff peaks form. I tried using my stand mixer, and it didn’t work as well. There just isn’t enough liquid when you start whipping for the stand mixer whisk to handle. If you doubled the recipe, a stand mixer would probably work fine though.
I also tested it with an immersion blender, and by hand with a whisk. The immersion blender didn’t work as well and took a long time to whip. I don’t recommend making it by hand as it will take FOREVER. But it is possible.
This is how it will look when it’s ready. So fluffy! Scoop dollops of the whipped coffee on top of a glass of warm or cold plant milk. Stir it up and enjoy!
Tips and substitutions
- Use hot water – It will dissolve the coffee and sugar in no time!
- Sugar – Coconut, brown, cane, or white sugar works best and will help the dalgona hold its shape. Liquid sugars won’t work as well, if at all.
- Dairy free milk – Oat milk is my favorite but you can enjoy the whipped coffee recipe with cashew milk, almond milk, or any dairy free milk you love.
- Recommended equipment – A hand mixer will make whipping the coffee so much easier. You can whisk it by hand, but it takes a long time!
Whipped coffee isn’t just for drinking! Use it with any of these sweet vegan treats:
- Spread it onto brownies.
- Dip cookies in it.
- Serve it with vegan whipped cream, chocolate sauce, and chocolate shavings on top.
- Fold cocoa powder, vanilla extract, or caramel sauce into the finished dalgona using a spatula.
- Enjoy it for breakfast with coffee cake!
Frequently asked questions
- Can I make whipped coffee without instant coffee? No, this recipe only works with instant coffee. Regular ground coffee needs to be brewed first and won’t dissolve when it’s mixed with hot water. This is my favorite instant coffee.
- Can I skip the sugar? Believe it or not, but sugar actually helps the whipped peaks hold their firm texture (just like meringues). You can make the dalgona with a little less sugar or Stevia instead, but it doesn’t stay as fluffy for as long.
- How do I drink it? With cold or warm dairy free milk! Pour the milk into a glass or mug, add the whipped coffee on top, and stir it up well so it’s nice and creamy. It maintains it’s fluffiness even once stirred into milk, tasting similar to a frappuccino.
- Can I store it in the fridge? Yes! Once the coffee is whipped, store the extras in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week. It might need to be whipped quickly to help it fluff up again.
Sip on more creamy vegan drinks
- Add the instant coffee granules, sugar and hot water to a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Using a hand mixer, start mixing the ingredients on low speed. After a minute or so, it will grow in size and begin to get fluffy. At this point, increase the speed to medium and beat in a zig-zag motion until very fluffy with peaks.
- For iced whipped coffee: In a glass, add a few cubes of ice and fill about 2/3 of the way full with milk of choice (I like oat milk). Add some whipped coffee on top of the milk, stir and enjoy immediately.
- For warm whipped coffee: Steam or simply warm about 1 cup of milk (microwave works fine), then add a good serving of the whipped coffee on top and stir it into the milk. Enjoy.
- *Some recipes don't make it clear that you should stir the whipped coffee mixture into milk, but that is exactly what you should do for best results. It's quite strong on it's own, but tastes perfect once you stir it in. It will maintain the fluffiness even once stirred in, making it a delicious and unusual drink.
- This recipe makes about 4 small servings or 2 large servings. Feel free to cut it in half or double it.
Coconut sugar works okay here, but no liquid sugars. You can cut the sugar in half if needed, but it actually needs some sugar to whip up correctly.
- I love serving it with creamy oat milk, but any milk you prefer will work fine.
- You can whisk it by hand, but it will take a long time (at least 15 minutes). A hand mixer works best.
- Nutrition information does not include milk, since it will vary so much depending on what kind you use.