Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes are a little spicy, a little sweet, and perfect for plating next to SO many various entrees! Chopped sweet potatoes are tossed with olive oil, maple syrup, and just a pinch of cayenne pepper along with several other bold seasonings before being air fried to perfection.
My air fryer is perpetually plugged in these days. It’s just so quick and easy to use and always yields such perfect results! If you’re also smitten with your air fryer, you’ll love recipes like Air Fryer Tofu, Air Fryer Asparagus, and Easy Air Fryer Fries.
The best air fryer sweet potatoes
Not only are these air fryer sweet potatoes incredibly easy to make (thank you, air fryer!), they’re also downright delicious! The air fryer really crisps the outsides of the potatoes perfectly while keeping the insides nice and soft.
What really draws me back to this recipe every time though is the flavor. I love the natural flavor of sweet potatoes already, and the way that they’re complimented here with both sweet and spicy ingredients is what makes my mouth water!
Ingredients needed (with substitutions)
- Sweet Potatoes – Make sure to peel them and cut them into ½ inch chunks prior to tossing in seasonings. Yams or Japanese white sweet potatoes work, too.
- Olive Oil – Avocado oil can be used instead if preferred. You can try leaving out the oil if needed, just watch them carefully to avoid burning.
- Maple Syrup – Make sure you’re using real maple syrup, not thick pancake syrup! Also, you can swap it for agave if you’d like.
- Smoked Paprika – Plain paprika also works if you don’t want the hint of smoky flavor.
- Garlic Powder
- Cayenne Pepper – I like to add a small pinch, that way there’s a touch of heat but it’s not a spicy side dish. You can add more if you really want to crank up the heat.
- Black Pepper – Freshly ground black pepper yields the best flavor.
How to make sweet potatoes in the air fryer
Find the complete printable recipe with measurements below in the recipe card.
Place the chopped sweet potatoes in a large bowl, along with all other ingredients. Stir to mix well and coat the potatoes.
Add the coated potatoes to the air fryer basket; they don’t have to be in a single layer. You can cook in batches if you have a very small air fryer. Cook at 400 degrees for 20-30 minutes, shaking every 5-10 minutes.
Frequently asked questions
- Can I make these sweet potatoes in the oven instead? You sure can! Follow the directions up until the point of cooking, then toss everything in the oven and bake at 425°F for 20-30 minutes.
- How long will Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes stay fresh? These potatoes are best served immediately. If you do have any leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. To reheat, toss them back in the air fryer and cook them at 400°F for just about 5-7 minutes or until warmed through.
- What should I serve with Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes? They plate perfectly with entrees like BBQ Jackfruit Pulled Pork, Vegan Fried Chicken, and SO much more!
More sweet potato recipes
- Mexican Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Vegan Sweet Potato Casserole
- Vegan Sweet Potato Pie
- Sweet Potato Black Bean Burger
- Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili
- Sweet Potato Pizza Crust
Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes (Sweet and Spicy!)
- Place the chopped sweet potatoes in a large bowl, along with all other ingredients. Stir to mix well and coat the potatoes.
- Transfer the potatoes to the basket of your air fryer. If your air fryer is small, you may need to do this in two cook sessions. They don't have to be in a single layer though. Cook at 400 degrees F for 20-30 minutes or so, shaking the basket every 5-10 minutes. Continue to cook until they are crisp and golden in places, and tender. Serve immediately.
- To reheat leftovers, simply pop them back in the air fryer for a few minutes to crisp them back up.
- May use yams or Japanese white sweet potatoes as well. This would also work with butternut squash.
- Leave out the oil if needed, but watch carefully so the potatoes don’t burn.
- For spicier potatoes, use more cayenne pepper.