Wondering how to replace heavy cream? This vegan heavy cream substitute is perfect for stirring into soups, curries and anywhere else cream is called for!
Vegan Heavy Cream
We all know that heavy cream makes food taste incredible, but what if you don’t eat dairy? Is there an option that tastes remotely close to the real thing?
I’m here to tell you that YES! There is! NO coconut aftertaste and no need to buy expensive vegan products. Just two simple ingredients.
Want to know what they are?
- Raw cashews.
Cashews are truly a magical ingredient when it comes to creating the creamiest dairy free foods, like for Vegan Cream Cheese and Vegan Sour Cream. And super creamy soups like Vegan Broccoli Cheese Soup and Vegan Corn Chowder.
How to make it
Vegan heavy cream is ridiculously easy to make. Simply soak your cashews in boiling hot water for about 5 minutes.
Drain the cashews and add them to a high powered blender (I love my Vitamix) along with fresh water. To make the vegan cream even richer, substitute 1 can of full fat coconut milk + 1/2 cup of water. But if you really dislike coconut, I wouldn’t try that option.
Blend for a few minutes until smooth and creamy. If you only have a regular blender, it might not get completely smooth, so I highly recommend using a high powered blender for this one.
Other vegan heavy cream substitutes to try
If you can’t have cashews or don’t own a high powered blender, here are a few other options:
- Full fat coconut milk or coconut cream – Probably not for you if you hate coconut, but I love it!
- Vegan creamer – Make sure to use something that is unsweetened, no sugar or flavor added! I like Silk Heavy Whipping Cream (though I couldn’t get it to whip!).
- Blend silken tofu into soups and other recipes to make them creamy.
- A high fat non-dairy milk – Such as full fat oat milk, cashew milk, almond milk or even soy milk. This isn’t my favorite option since they aren’t as high fat, but they work in a pinch.
How to store heavy cream substitute
Keep it in a covered container in the refrigerator for 1 week. Or freeze it for a few months. You can freeze the cream in an ice cube tray, then in a large container or bag. Thaw before using.
What kinds of recipes can vegan cream be used for?
- Mashed Potatoes or Scalloped Potatoes
- Vegan Soups
- Creamy Curries, instead of coconut milk, such as Vegan Butter Chicken, Vegan Tikka Masala, Vegan Red Thai Curry or Vegetable Korma.
- Creamy pasta dishes like Vegan Baked Ziti, Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff or The Best Vegan Mac and Cheese.
- As coffee creamer! Add a teaspoon of vanilla, a few tablespoons of maple syrup and a tiny pinch of salt.
- In baked goods that call for heavy cream.
- Make vegan ice cream.
More vegan basics
Heavy Cream Substitute (Vegan)
- 1 1/2 cups raw cashews
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Bring 3 cups of water to a boil. Pour the hot water over the cashews and let soak for at least 5 minutes, or up to 3 hours.
- Drain the cashews and discard the soaking water. Add them to a high powered blender along with 1 1/2 cups of fresh water and blend for a few minutes until very smooth and creamy.
- Use immediately anywhere you would heavy cream, or store in a covered container in the refrigerator until ready to use. It will keep in the refrigerator for about 1 week.
For coffee creamer, you can add a teaspoon of vanilla and a few tablespoons of maple syrup. I’d also add a pinch of salt.
- To make the heavy cream even richer, substitute 1 can of full fat coconut milk + 1/2 cup water for the 1 1/2 cups water.
- It makes almost 2 cups of vegan heavy cream.